Civil and highway design
The photo is from the construction of new public transport hub and London Transport Bus Terminal that we designed for the Hillingdon NHS Trust, at their Mt Vernon Hospital site.
Highway design services include:
- Adoptable highways /roads – using Highways Act Section 38
- Works to adoptable highways / roads – using Highways Act Section 278
- Private Estates – Full highway design responsibilty
- Advice on asphalt (tarmac) resurfacing on existing concrete highways / roads or hardstandings.
- Independent inspection and professional report in relation to existing or newly completed asphalt (tarmac) surfacing, commenting on failures and solutions.
- Inspection during the installation of asphalt (tarmac) works at highways.
- Experience of a range of innovative highway design solutions to maximise sustainability and lower carbon
- Design of car parks, lorry compounds and industrial centre hardstandings.
A typical highway design example includes:
JR Hospital (Oxford) A&E highway reconstruction design and inspection
The main access highway / road to the John Radcliffe Hospital (Oxford) Accident and Emergency Centre was rapidly deteriorating. Highway sections were dropping and potholes were continual. Basic repairs had been made for years without any success. It was essential to the NHS Trust that any solution would address the issues more permanently, but they could not afford the time scales and disruption of a "DMRB type traditional solution". With the surfaces stipped back and the formation exposed it was clear that the original construction was far to light for the intended traffic and services crossings had further reduced the strength.
"Rather than excavate further down, causing additinal delays and costs, I decided to use a combination of techniques to provide increased strength without increased depth." Says Wilsham Consulting Director – Stephen Gibson.
- Locally addressing soft spots and hard sports.
- Use of geotextiles and biaxel geogrids to considerably increase the strength of the subbase without without requiring deep capping required under DMRB.
- Special asphalt Road, Binder and Surface courses designed to maximise strength and long performance life.